Monday, October 29, 2012

My favorite psalm

Hi 5th Grade,

I love Psalm 51.  It has been a Psalm that I have often meditated on and is an amazing reminder of God's forgiveness of my sin.  

But, I don't know if this can be considered my "favorite."  It's hard to call something a "favorite" when it is a reminder of how sinful I really am!  Nonetheless, understanding the story of David (2 Samuel 12:1-23) and his response of saying sorry to God through Psalm 51 is very powerful.  

The part I really like in this Psalm is that it isn't just about David saying sorry.  It is about his promise to then tell others to turn back to God in verse 13.


Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    so that sinners will turn back to you.
Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
    you who are God my Savior,
    and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
Open my lips, Lord,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Mr.Goh. I like your psalm. And the SONG =D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up listening to Keith Green. My brother used to get all his albums. He died tragically in a plane accident but his legacy lives on because of the message he was spreading. Can't wait to hear about you favorite Psalm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that also one of the reasons you don't like flying?:)- madi pie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Madison. I don't mind flying. It's just super stressful with 3 kids. I hate the jet lag too. Flying in America is stressful. Much better in Asia...far fewer rules in security check.

    ReplyDelete