Sunday, August 19, 2012

10 Questions Answered!

1.  What is your favorite food?


My favorite food is grilled cheese.  I like all sides of my white bread buttered and any cheese will do, as long as it is gooey and melted.  When I first got married, my wife asked me what special meal I wanted for my birthday.  I told her grilled cheese and she thought I was crazy.

2.  If you could be a "fly on the wall," what event in history would you have liked to witness?


If I were a "fly on the wall" - disgusting huh! - I would want to witness the parting of the Red Sea.  Growing up, I used to wonder about this Biblical account all the time.  I recall asking my Sunday School teacher questions like was the ground dry, could you touch the water, were there fish etc.  I think to witness such an amazing and significant miracle in the history of God's chosen people would be so incredible!

3.  What are your classroom rules?


Quite honestly, I'm not big into rules.  But, as a teacher, I would like my students to be respectful and responsible.  In terms of respect, if we - and this includes myself - can respect God first, others second and ourselves third, everything will be just fine!  In terms of responsibility, I've always liked the famous line from the movie "Spider Man."  Spider Man a.k.a. Peter Parker says "With great power comes great responsibility.  This is my gift, curse.  Who am I?"  I think each of us, teacher and students included, have the power to impact the lives of the people around us.  As result, we all have a responsibility to try to impact lives positively for Christ. This can be through simple things like a smile or an encouraging word, or a selfless act of service.  I think we are often blind to opportunities every day to love others.  

4.  What are your favorite sports? 


Growing up I loved to play all sports.  In high school, I was on the tennis team from my freshman to senior years.  I also played tons of basketball and baseball.  When I was in college, my older brother took me golfing and from that moment I was hooked.  I quit all other sports and became a golf junkie.  I love to golf.  Nuff said.  I wish I started when I was younger but this past year, I shot par for the first time and have actually had 2 eagles in a round.  If you have no idea what I just said, no worries!  

5.  How many brothers and sisters do you have?


I have two older brothers.  They are 7 and 9 years older than me.  That would make them 46 and 48.  Any guesses how old I am???  I am the baby of the family.  I was born in a city called Penang in the country of Malaysia.  I challenge you to look up where that is in the world! Both my brothers, and my Dad are all pastors!  My brothers live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  My Mom and Dad live overseas in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.  

6.  If you were given a million dollars what would you do with it?  


If I were completely selfish, I would retire and spend my days golfing and fishing.  Fortunately, God has called me to live my life for Him and to love others.  So, with a million dollars, I would probably sponsor young people to go on mission trips so they can experience first hand what it means to fulfill Christ's great commission.  If you don't know what the great commission is, in Matthew 28:17-20 Jesus says "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

7.  As my new teacher, what would be your advice for me to have a successful year?

 
I would encourage you to set realistic, yet ambitious, goals for each subject and then plan carefully how you will accomplish these goals.  For example, if you got a B last year in Math but want to get an A, you would plan to complete all your math problems every night and to review the chapters lessons continually until the unit test.  You would resolve to ask me lots of questions of the concepts that you don't understand and to do extra problems in the areas that you are weakest.

8.  Where did you teach before Seven Rivers?  How did you end up in Citrus County?


Before teaching at Seven Rivers, I taught at a school called the International Christian School - Hong Kong (ICS).  If you don't know where Hong Kong is, it is at the southern tip of China.  ICS is an American international school and I taught there for 9 years.  In many ways it is like Seven Rivers.  When I first arrived at ICS there were just over 300 students.  But, by the time I left, they had built a brand new building and the numbers of students had more than tripled to over a 1000.  My first four years, I taught high school Bible, English and PE.  In my last 4 years there, I taught middle school boys PE.  How did I end up in Citrus County?  Good question!  My wife and I decided that it was time for us to return to North America.  We didn't know where to go and a friend from Hong Kong -  who was from Crystal River - convinced us to move here.  We had planned for me to take a year off since we were expecting a new baby boy.  So, in addition to preparing for a new child, I worked on my golf game.  I worked at Skyview Golf Course picking up golf balls on the range.  I was paid minimum wage but I got to play golf for free.

9.  Tell me about your immediate family.

 
I have been married to my wife, Anna, for 6 years.  We met in Hong Kong at our school, ICS.  I proposed to her on the Great Wall of China in Beijing!  We have 3 children.  My oldest girl is named Naomi.  She is starting kindergarten at Seven Rivers this year.  My second daughter is named Taylor.  She is starting preK-3.  My youngest son is named Caleb.  He is 4 months old. 

10.  What are your goals for the year?


I like to set goals each school year in 4 areas:  spiritual, academic, social and physical.   My spiritual goal for the year is to re-read the Old Testament.  I have read it once through but am realizing I have forgotten so many of the details.  I love the Old Testament because it is such an amazing story of how God loved the Israelite people, even though they were so sinful and rebellious.  It's a reminder of how much he loves me despite my sin.  My academic goal is to be the best teacher to my students.  I have never been an elementary classroom teacher before and I am, quite honestly, very nervous.  But, I know that I am teaching at Seven Rivers because it is God's will.  So, I know that He will equip me with all the skills and knowledge to make this year amazing for my students.  My social goal is to make some friends here.  We just moved to Citrus County 8 months ago in December 2011.  We are new to Seven Rivers Church and really don't know anyone.  I am praying that God will give me some guys to play golf with so we can fellowship on the golf course while chasing around a silly white ball.  My physical goal for this year is to lose some weight and improve my fitness.  When I was teaching PE, this was easy since it was my job to be active.  But, taking the last year off, I have eaten way too much and done too little.  I think we'll be doing some push-ups in class this year, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment