Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What is your worldview?

As we started talking about Social Studies today, I introduced to you the concept of bias and worldview.  Consider the following:

"Everyone has a worldview. Whether or not we realize it, we all have certain presuppositions and biases that affect the way we view all of life and reality. A worldview is like a set of lenses which taint our vision or alter the way we perceive the world around us. Our worldview is formed by our education, our upbringing, the culture we live in, the books we read, the media and movies we absorb, etc. For many people their worldview is simply something they have absorbed by osmosis from their surrounding cultural influences. They have never thought strategically about what they believe and wouldn’t be able to give a rational defense of their beliefs to others."

http://christianworldview.net/

My hope is that as you continue your education at Seven Rivers, you will form a Christian worldview where you see through the "lens" of Jesus.  In John 15:19 it says "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own.  As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world." 

Your goal should be to know God personally and intimately and to know His word.  Then, you will be able to, with His help, know what is of God and what His absolute truth is.  In my opinion, I think this is a worthy goal for your education.

30 comments:

  1. I hate to admit it but sometimes I see ungodly things and it kind of scars me. Really, I can't think of anything to say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its so beauitful its going to make me cry;(

      Delete
  2. i think that when you don't have the lens of Jesus you might look douwn on people amd be unkind to them. but when you do, you look at people and recognize they are little clildren of God.
    -jj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how did you git your name on there

      Delete
    2. JJ u put amd and clildren

      Delete
  3. some times I do ungodly things and sometimes they are not good planly :( . but god/jesus give me the strenth to do the right thing :)
    (Joshua b)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God always cam's me and storms. Anna. G

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol josh it shrength no offence
    [buddy]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i messed it up agin strength

      Delete
    2. you messed up the word again!

      Delete
  6. I finaly get it so if you see something all the time and then you see something totaly different you would most likely see it as an akward thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. k now i need to do my blog homework and not mess around lol.


    God is in work in my life bt sometimes i do rong thing when i shouldnt so i just hav to do my best and work on watering and making the seed in my life grow.




    And plz dont correct me even tho im a jerk and did it to other ppl lol.
    JustKidding

    ReplyDelete
  8. that was from madipeters

    ReplyDelete
  9. its black here ABOUT TO RAIN! how 'bout other places!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I keep forgeting the rain thing was from lexi

    ReplyDelete
  11. k I need to do my homework now so................. I'll do bad things but as soon as I do 'um (them) i'll regreat it i'll feel horrible then sulk 'till i finally get up the corage (i spelled that wrong sorry mr.go) to apolagize! lexi- (i rembered this time!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think its a good example to use tinted glasses that block our view.and i didnt even know what a worldview was till now.-addie

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is something that we all needed to hear. i love this blog. please continue it. go mr. goh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. my word view is my decisions and actions reflect the freedom and rest of finished work of Jesus. I am free because It is Finished!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a parent, I am really enjoying this blog. My kids and I talked about how when we read books or watch a movie we react to it according to our worldview. We watched The Hunger Games together and have read the books and we discussed the Christ-like sacrifices that Peeta made and how disturbed we were by the way children are treated in the movie. People who watch the movie with a different worldview may view Peeta as being weak. We talked about how we can look for good and evil in everything we read and watch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. my world view is influenced by the people around me who are believers, when i read books like harry potter i can not read it with out finding symbols related to the bible.i see voldemort as satan, dumbledore as jesus, harry, ron , and hermoine as god's children, and the slytherns as the evil people in this world. when i watch movies and i see a person do something wrong i see it as sin. sometimes i wonder what it would be like without a christian world view.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Today,I thought that Social Studies was going to be boring ,but it turned out to be quite interesting. And Mr.Goh if you didn't think you did good today,you didn't,you did great!!!!!!
    Have a nice night,

    Emmy J.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My world view have been influenced by my education at SRCS. Through the views of my teachers, pastors and classmates I feel I better understand people that are not as blessed as myself. I would like to understand better how I can help people that are not a fortunate as myself and what I can do to make this world a better place to live for everybody.

    Cody

    ReplyDelete