Thursday, September 6, 2012

Regarding the Enterprise Village visit, the State Fair and the Tallahassee Trip

Dear 5th Grade and Parents,

After a curriculum meeting last night, we discussed changes to what we would be learning this year in Social Studies/History.  It was soon realized that the State Fair Project and the Tallahassee trip did not tie in directly to what we were learning in class and we decided to make some revisions.  We did, however, decide to continue our visit to Enterprise Village.

Below is a summary of what we discussed and I look forward to any feedback you may have.  Please know that I understand the importance of tradition and I recognize that many of you will be disappointed.  I assure you that what we do to replace these two wonderful learning activities, will be tied into our curriculum, be challenging and enriching, and be lots and lots of fun!

1.  Enterprise Village
We have a booking to visit Enterprise Village on March 19, 2013.  We will be preparing for our visit in class and will give all details in the new year.

2.  State Fair
As result of the changes to our Social Studies/History curriculum, we discoverd that the State Fair no longer reflected what was being learned in the classroom.  In its place, a new project will be planned and details will be given at the appropriate time.  My hope is to still incorporate a "performance" component to this new project that will give the 5th grade class an opportunity to share what they have learned in a public forum.  The idea of the 5th grade class hosting a special event for the school is a great idea in so many ways and I hope that the new project will not only be exciting for the students but also for the entire Seven Rivers community.

3.  Tallahassee Trip
Since state government is not addressed in the 5th grade, we made a decision that we would revise the purposes of this trip.  A two-night trip will still be planned but the learning objectives will be different.  My initial idea is to seek out an opportunity where the 5th grade can learn through service.  Going on a mini "mission-trip" will not only create memories, and promote great learning, but also, provide each student the opportunity to serve Jesus and love others.  As I am new to Florida, and to the U.S. for that matter, if you have any ideas and contacts, would you please let me know.  I am most excited about what open doors God has for us!  When I was younger, God opened a door for me to travel to Hong Kong and play basketball and share the gospel to kids.  This one trip changed my life and I ended up moving back to Hong Kong years later to live.  My hope and prayer is that God will work similarly in the lives of our class.

Today, in class, there was a lot of disappointment; there were also some tears.  I understand and know how difficult it is to embrace change.  I have gone through my share of change in the last year as well.  My hope is that the revisions we are making will not only tie into our educational goals but also to our calling as God's children.

I am eagerly awaiting all your responses!  :)

21 comments:

  1. oh my gosh i have been trying to post FOREVER! Anyways, I have mixed emotions. I am sad that we dont get to go to tallahassee, but my sister went there so she has plenty of pictures. I am happy because we get to try something new. I wish everybody felt this way haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddi P and I were very sad about the state fair, but I'm happy that we can try something new

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that trying something new will be fun. I think that going somewhere new will enrich our learning and will be just as fun. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be a chance for us to try something that our school has never done before now I am excited by the way nice name insane jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad the comments - so far - are positive. I was feeling pretty down this morning. Thank you all for having a GREAT attitude and trusting me. There is no way to replace the State Fair and the Tallahassee trip but that's not to say that what we do won't be as fun, educational and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the idea of a mini-mission trip over Tallahassee. I'm glad to see Enterprise Village is staying. I know the students really learn a lot from that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. im also sad about the fair and would like to see how this turns out-addie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am 100% supportive of the changes. Tradition is a special thing, but when it inhibits growth and progress then it is time to look at the "why" and consider the necessary changes in order to move forward. Not only is it exciting to see something new in the works, it is a valuable life lesson for 5th graders to see that life is not always predictable. Mrs. Saint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! I agree completely :-)

      Delete
  9. i wish we could go to tallahassee but this seems fun cman

    ReplyDelete
  10. I concur with Mrs. Saint's comments. Change is good thing and allows for new opportunities and experiences. I'm sure that whatever you decide to do with the 5th grade class, it will be an exciting and fun time for all. We support you, Mr. Goh! Dreama Waldrop

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been on several trips. I am sure the ones you choose this yearbwill be just as rewarding. Your ideas and experience are welcome in my opinion. You will know what will benefit our kids, and I prefer mission trips to politics, God knows we should be praying forth people in charge of our state and country! Diane oestreich





    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited that we are still going to Enterprise Village. I'm excited that we get to do new things. I know that we aren't doing the State Fair or Tallahassee trip, but I trust that we will have fun with whatever you plan for us. KK

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Anne and Heather. I welcome new thoughts, ideas and new traditions. Katelyn was a little sad at the thought of not doing all the things she "knew" would happen in 5th grade...but God has a better plan! Now she's excited and so am I. Let me know if you need help planning these new adventures for our kids! So thankful that God brought you to Seven Rivers!
      blessings,
      abk

      Delete
  14. I think that the State Fair was cool but doing something different is good too! I think that 5th grade will be sooooooooooooosooooooooosoooooooooooooo FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The plan sounds even more fun then the other plans , Anna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i think it is going to be cool doing thing s new

    ReplyDelete
  17. We should go tI arkansas

    ReplyDelete